Saturday, July 30, 2011

Insects are Friends. Not Food

Lately, I have keep having several horrible encounters with insects in my home. My cats and dog are always bringing in insects from my backyard to play with or eat. Specifically, other day, I was letting some of my cats in from the backyard. Suddenly, I turned to see my cat, Lulu, sitting on my stove with a grasshopper. WTF! I swear Lulu is my problem child. I am yelling "eat it or kill it". Of course, she jumps off the stove and leaves me to deal with the creature. I get out my broom and decide to battle the insect to its death. The grasshopper is jumping around my kitchen as I am waving around the broom. Finally, I smashed the insect and, it is dead. I sweep the corpse off onto the floor and give it back to Lulu. She looks at the dead grasshopper with a snobby expression and nonchalantly walks away as if the insect is not good enough for her now. Pssh.. Rude..

All these insect incidents led me to begin thinking about people who eat insects. So, I began looking up recipes using insects for my own amusement. As I was reading some, I stumbled upon one I had to share. This recipe cracked me up.

Popcorn Crunch

Here's an easy treat to prepare and take to the drive-in movie. The kids will love it.

Roasted insects. Perfect snack.:)
Ingredients
  • 3 quarts of popcorn, popped
  • 1/2 cup of honey
  • 1 cup of dry roasted insects, chopped
  • 1/2 cup of melted butter

Preparation

Blend the butter and honey together in a saucepan and heat gently. Mix the popcorn with the insects and pour the butter-honey mixture over it. Mix well. Spread on a cookie sheet in a thin layer. Bake at 350° 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp. Break into bite-sized pieces.  

You can find this one and several more on this site: 
              
My review

Kids love to play with insects. So, next time your child brings home bugs for pets, use this opportunity to your advantage. Serve these tasty critters to them during your next movie night. I'm sure you kid/s will be overjoyed with this salty, sugary surprise.

Kidding. But... SERIOUSLY.. are these people for real. Um.. I do not think a kid will eat this.


Are you hungry yet.? Yummy

Overall, I think eating bugs is disgusting. I love Andrew Zimmern on Bizarre Foods, but I will let him to continue to to eat insects for my enjoyment because I am not living out a man vs.wild moment in my backyard. I think a grocery store can provide a perfect selection of fresh meats and produce for me to use in my next meal. 





Just remember. Insects are Friends. Not Food. 
 

P.S. No insects were eaten during the making of his blog. 


1 comment:

  1. What an Interesting recipe. Just hope that the insects would taste good. Thanks for this fantastic share.

    ReplyDelete